Memoir. Collections of memories that an individual writes about that are touchstone events and turning points from the author’s life.
- Written in first person from author’s point of view
- Narrative nonfiction written in story form
- Can include dialogue even though not precisely every word spoken but recreated by the author as accurately as possible
- Has a particular theme or focus
- Not a recording of every detail, but selected memories relative to the purpose of the essay or book
- Author questions what happened and how came to some kind of new understanding or lesson learned by the experience.
- Author shares how an experience profoundly changed the way she sees the world.